Monday, October 3, 2016

Semana dos en el campo



Hola mi amigos,
Como estan? I hope that everyone is doing super well in their lives, it’s crazy to think that as of now I have been away from home for a full two months! Time goes by so fast when you are constantly on the move doing things. P-days are nice since they give us time to slow down a little and we also get to talk to all the awesome people back home (:

So time for a sad story that happen last P-day. We got to visit the French market in New Orleans after emailing you all. It was a fun time until we ran into a homeless (I think) man sitting outside of one of the oldest catholic cathedrals in the USA who called himself "King David.”  He called my group of missionaries over and said, "Come teach me about Jesus." So we go over and find out that he really didn't want to have us teach him anything but wanted to try to catch us in our words and try to twist what we told him, so one of the elders got a little mad at him and "King David" responded by swearing at him and calling him all sorts of vulgar things and then finished it by saying, " I have three things to teach you 1. Jesus is God 2. He is a black man 3. He does not exist..... unless you believe in him." It was such a crazy experience because it showed the complete and total difference between people who are kind and love God like most of the people we interacted with, when compared to someone who only wanted to tear other people’s beliefs apart, degrade, and humiliate them. It was such a stark contrast that it made me feel so bad for this man because there was a point in his life when he had joy and happiness, but something had driven him from this happiness and had left him with nothing but harsh words and anger. I so wish we could have helped him, but there was not anything we could do since he would not accept anything we said. I heard the mission was hard because some people wouldn't listen to you, but I never realized that no matter how rude they were, you would still wish there was something you could do for them, which makes things ten times harder.

So on a more happy note, our investigator Miguel who was dragged to Florida by his controlling dad came back to New Orleans!! It is so awesome because even though there were a lot of trials for him, he still had the desire to be baptized and so did his mom and rest of his family. We have to work with some of the other members of his family; but he is on date to be baptized on the 8th of this month! It was such an awesome experience to see him again and see that his faith had not wavered in the slightest. Another awesome thing about this week is that we ran into two new investigators while tracting, and they seem pretty awesome even though we have only taught them once. It was a really cool story because when Elder Barron and I were walking into a complex of homes in Fat City there was a little boy who ran up to us and asked, "Can you teach my mom?" We were super surprised, but followed the kid to his house in the complex and proceeded to help his mom and her sister with their project of cleaning the house, and then sat down with them in a lesson that they seemed to enjoy a lot. It was super awesome and they invited us to come over this Wednesday for a second lesson.


We met with a lot more people but those are the two biggest stories for the week but now I have a quote of the week from a conversation between me and Elder Barron

ME: (talking about my knife) "My Leatherman is so sharp that I can shave the hair right off my legs.

Elder Barron: "That is both the manliest and girliest thing I have ever heard!"

Hahaha that may only be funny for me and him since we have weird missionary humor so I apologize.

One of my favorite quotes from conference this week is, "I was promised that if I read the Book of Mormon with my kids every day I would not lose any of them... And I will not lose you." I love that quote since it is a mother to her child but also because it is a testimony of not only the strength of mothers but also the love God has for us. When we sin I can imagine God saying to us, "I have prepared a way for you to be clean again through the Atoning Sacrifice of my Only Begotten, I gave this to you because I love you and I will not lose you." Whenever we make mistakes we can always repent and return to the path that leads to him. We can find joy and happiness with our families for eternity. 

I love you all, have a great week!
Some very interesting hot sauce

Catholic Cathedral in the French Market


My comp pretending to pray while sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment