Monday, May 14, 2018

Last call home!


Hey y'all, I hope you had an awesome Mother’s Day!

I can't believe that I just had my final call home to my family before I come home from my mission! I never thought this day would come, and it is a little bit trippy! It is amazing how fast a mission can go by! It was great to see my family again and finally meet my brothers fiance!

Things this week were pretty good, we were able to find a few new Spanish investigators so that was great! we had set the goal to find 10 each companionship of the district but I didn’t realize how hard it is to find Spanish people in New Orleans because they are more spread out among all the English speaking people; so you can go knocking on doors for a while and find some people for English to teach, but none for you. It is really like a hunt for the Spanish down here, but we were lucky enough to find 4 new Spanish people to teach and so hopefully things go well with that.

I did get the chance to help out on a lesson with one of the English companionships down here in NOLA. They have a guy named M  that they are teaching, who is actually in a seminary to become a minister.  He is a super sharp guy and knows his Bible very well, and even knows a lot of history that is outside of the Bible. And so M  had a bunch of questions about doctrines and stuff and was wondering about how they tie into the teaching of the Bible.  Apparently I am now classified as someone who "knows the Bible" in our mission and so my companion pretty much volunteered me to go and sit in on a lesson with this guy. It was super awesome! This guy really just wants to know about what we believe, and he loved the scriptures we were able to share with him about the afterlife, Book of Mormon, and pretty much everything else. He had a ton of questions that I think we were able to answer really well. I for sure felt the spirit during that lesson and I’m sure he did too. He even told us that he was for sure going to start reading the Book of Mormon now, and start praying about it to know if it is true. He is a great guy! What I thought was super awesome from the whole experience is that he taught us some new knowledge too; so we were all able to grow and be edified together.

A small fun story that happened this week is that after we had a lesson with one of our investigators S we were walking down the street and ran into the same bunch of kids that we talked to last week. They were super funny and asked us to help carry some wood and stuff with them so they could build a fort. We helped them out, and while we were walking one of them suddenly said, "I just saw something inappropriate." We were a bit confused and asked what he saw, and he pointed to some cigar bags on the sidewalk. Haha! We got to agree with him that cigars are not good and that we shouldn’t do any drugs, pretty much we did a low key word of wisdom lesson and at the end all the kids were like "I’m never going to do drugs!" and one little 8 year old was like, "I can never smoke cuz if I do how will I ever make it to the NFL!" Haha it was super fun to see how they all wanted to break the norms of the area and stay clean from all that stuff.

Oh and one more awesome thing that happened this week is I was able to visit with one of my old investigators in Metairie for a little bit on Saturday night. his name is M and he is one of the investigators we were working with a lot when I was in my first area. After a ward party I decided to stop by his house since we were already in Metairie. We did, and we got to see him and catch up for a while. It was so great! And come to find out no missionaries had visited him since I left, so we were able to ask if the missionaries could come over and he said he wanted them too, but he just had to ask his dad.  Missionaries will most likely be teaching him again so that is another reason to celebrate!!

I hope y’all have an awesome week and finish up the school year strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment